Ballot for Australian Pacific Engagement Visa (subclass 192) opens 3 June 2024

  • By:O'Reilly Stevens Lawyers

It’s finally been announced!

The ballot for the Pacific Engagement Visa (subclass 192) (‘PEV’) will open on 3 June 2024.

The PEV is a new Australian permanent resident visa for participating countries in the Pacific and Timor Leste. Up to 3,000 permanent residency visas inclusive of the main application, partners and dependent children will be made available annually to Pacific and Timor Leste nationals through a ballot selection process. When an applicant wins the pre-selection ballot, that applicant will be eligible to apply for the PEV within a specified period. To be eligible for the PEV, you must:

  • be randomly selected through the PEV ballot;
  • be aged between 18 and 45 years;
  • have a formal job offer in Australia; and
  • meet other visa requirements, including English language, character and health checks.

Read more about the PEV here.

Eligibility for the ballot

To participate in the visa ballot, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • be aged between 18 and 45 years;
  • hold a valid passport for a participating country
  • have been born in, or have a parent who was born in, an eligible country
  • pay a $25 registration fee.

Which countries are participating Pacific Island countries?

  • Citizens from Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu can apply for this visa.
  • Citizens from Timor-Leste can also apply for this visa

Visa allocations[1]

The Visa allocations for 2024:

Federated States of Micronesia50
Papua New Guinea1350
Solomon Islands150

I’m on a substantive temporary visa and/or Bridging Visa in Australia, can I apply for the PEV and ballot?

Subject to the eligibility criteria, you can apply for this ballot and visa if you are currently onshore in Australia on a substantive temporary visa (example, student visa, work visa, etc…) and on Bridging Visas A, B or C.

I’m in my home country (offshore from Australia), can I apply for the ballot and PEV?

If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for this ballot and visa if you are not currently onshore in Australia.

Contact us for more details or if you require assistance with applying.


Posted in: Human Rights Law